MoonOverPittsburgh

Some tiny creature, mad with wrath,

Is coming nearer on the path.

--Edward Gorey

Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S. Outlying Islands

Writer, lawyer, cyclist, rock climber, wanderer of dark residential streets, friend.

Friday, April 22, 2005

Pittsburgh's Indian Trails

Recently, I mused glowingly about the fancy new wheels I decided to buy for my fixed gear (which still needs a name). This morning, I noticed the slightest little cheep coming out of the front wheel on each rotation. A little rubbing at the brake perhaps? I'm still not entirely sure, but in examining the problem I discovered that both wheels are already untrue, laterally. Nothing dramatic, but while when I bought them they were literally perfect, now one can observe a slight wobble from side to side when they spin freely. Easily ignored, easily readjusted, but impossible to ignore.

Because for this I can think all of the lovely potholes that no matter how many times I make the same commute somehow manage to exceed by just a few how many I can hold at once in my memory. Each day, I hit something, typically due to a momentary lapse of attention. For all the tax talk and firehouse closures and such, it might be more honest just to turn the roads back to dirt. At least then I could stop kidding myself and buy a mountain bike.

1 Comments:

Blogger jason said...

I guess the shop didn't mention it, but new wheels need to be retensioned after a couple of rides. It takes a little bit for the spokes to seat and all the tension to equalize throughout the wheel. Then you should have a nice true wheel for awhile.

If Pittsburgh goes to mud, I'm buying a quad and moving back into town.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker