MoonOverPittsburgh

Some tiny creature, mad with wrath,

Is coming nearer on the path.

--Edward Gorey

Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S. Outlying Islands

Writer, lawyer, cyclist, rock climber, wanderer of dark residential streets, friend.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

In the Meatpacking District

The day like a thousand steps
and me too anticipation-petrified
to note the strain of each or all;

Imagining you beside me at MoMA
in the next room contemplative
before Magritte while I succumb

to Klee's underembellished portrait
and discover Boccioni for the first time;
Wishing you there beside me

to mark with a knowing glance
the humor of a tourist confident to his friend
that The Persistence of Memory

is Dali's most famous painting
(and promising the existence
of a larger version elsewhere).

At dinner you hide in the shrugs
of friends sick of hearing your name
cross my lips like a profane sacrament.

Later, across a table your angular visage --
overbite inhabiting a cloudy smile --
captures candleflame and dances,

a vindication of our mutual apprehension
three years later -- and not a blue day gone by
without a rumor of rain in your name.

To have given what cannot be reclaimed,
a cloak sewn from what is worthy in me
that i'd forgotten lending.

My spectral companion embodied
and in the flicker and din,
a drag queen belting out show tunes

at the next bar
over cabernet
no candle.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed it quite a bit.
In my opinion your poetry is of far better quality compared to the average internet poems. Of course I am no expert. Have you ever sent anything to magazines?

4:35 PM  
Blogger Moon said...

Thanks, May. Once in a while I think about trying to publish one or another of my poems. I don't think anything here is of that quality, or at least at a level I'd be comfortable submitting, but a few might be brought up to a level with more pointed revision (pretty much everything here was written pretty quickly and only modestly revised).

The main thing for now is that whatever I post here I can't seek to publish, because most poetry journals are online and google would make it possible to glean my real-world identity. When I'm free to acknowledge this weblog, or when I take it down entirely (something that will probably happen at some point, but not very soon), then I might reconsider whether any of these are worth additional work.

Thanks for the kind words.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted you to know, for whatever it may be worth, that I keep coming back to this poem.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Moon said...

Thank you, Abhayah. There really is no higher compliment to offer a poem. It means a lot. If only the poem's subject, who has read it and seems to approve at least a little, were similarly inclined . . . . But then that I'm offering it in verse says plenty about the likelihood of that. :-)

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

miu miu on sale miu miu handbags on sale
miu miu bags miu miu handbag online
chanel handbags prices chanel bags prices
chanel sale chanel bag prices chanel handbag prices
gucci bags luxury bags
louis vuitton bag gucci bag
Get your gucci gucci handbags gucci bags set at cheap price
--------------
Limited Supply louis vuitton handbags louis vuitton bags louis vuitton for cheap
louis vuitton store louis vuitton shoes louis vuitton bags
lv handbags choose fashion louis vuitton fashion handbags discount
designer handbags louis vuitton handbag
lv bags store to buy luxury handbags and louis vuitton bags
ladies bags is luxury gifts looking for cheap ladies handbags
There are many louis vuitton handbags in ladies fashion stores
louis vuitton shoes & louis vuitton bag louis vuitton handbag for Discount

4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker