MoonOverPittsburgh

Some tiny creature, mad with wrath,

Is coming nearer on the path.

--Edward Gorey

Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S. Outlying Islands

Writer, lawyer, cyclist, rock climber, wanderer of dark residential streets, friend.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

More Evil Books

Yesterday, I jumped on Majikthise's meme train with a list of "challenged" books and indications as to how many I had read.

I also offered invitations to Emily, Brian, and the crew at Bloodless, each of whom has thrown in and passed it on.

One of Emily's designees not only posted his own list, but came back with the even more challenging slightly-right-of-McCarthy Human Events list of the Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th centuries. With the youth fiction quotient non-existent on this list (Baltar ought to be pleased), and its brevity (thirty books including honorable mentions), it's a much tougher list. As a function of percentage, however, I appear to fall in the same range as with the other list, and I suspect the Bloodless crew will score very well on this since it is a collection of books common to academe (which is probably a pretty good proxy, from an arch conservative point of view, for "dangerous" books) and Brian, philosophy reader non pareil, also should do well.

Here are those I've read (in significant part):

1. Marx and Engels, The Communist Manifesto (natch)

5. Dewey, Democracy and Education

6. Marx, Das Kaptial, Marx

7. Friedan, The Feminine Mystique

9. Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Then from the "Honorable[??] Mentions:"

Mill, On Liberty

Darwin, Origin of Species

Foucault, Madness and Civilization

Gramsci, Prison Notebooks

Freud, Introduction to Pscyhoanalysis

A grand tally of ten out of thirty, but five of the top ten!!! I suppose this means either I'm an academic, a communist, or both. Well, I'm no academic . . . although I am a bit of a fetishist.

Emily already has posted her list. Will Brian and Bloodless? Will Majikthise and her designees?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oopsie. I didn't know we were supposed to pass it on... sorry.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

with only 9, i feel like a very slipshod academic. these lists have convinced me i ought to shift my dissertation topic to marginally subversive children's lit.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker