MoonOverPittsburgh

Some tiny creature, mad with wrath,

Is coming nearer on the path.

--Edward Gorey

Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S. Outlying Islands

Writer, lawyer, cyclist, rock climber, wanderer of dark residential streets, friend.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Where Does Your Name Rank?

Care of Bloodless Coup and Eric Muller comes a nifty site that efficiently and intuitively graphs the waxing and waning popularity of names in the United States.

From this, I learn that my mother's worst fears have been realized. My name, only a top-30 name in the decade of my birth (and inasmuch as I was born early in that decade, and the graph spikes into the ensuing decades, one might suspect that upon my birth said name wasn't even in the top 30), and between 300 and 400 in the decade preceding that, has since spiked high into the top 10 where it has remained from the 1980's until 2003, the most recent year for which the graph provides data.

Which means that my once relatively obscure name is going to continue to increase in popularity in the workplace until, by the time I'm deep into middle age, it will be more common among my employees and associates than John or James or David. Just lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker