MoonOverPittsburgh

Some tiny creature, mad with wrath,

Is coming nearer on the path.

--Edward Gorey

Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S. Outlying Islands

Writer, lawyer, cyclist, rock climber, wanderer of dark residential streets, friend.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Variations: Oranmore

Today, factoring in a couple of necessary stops, the passage of the storm before I left the office, and the fact that I will not be able to ride to work tomorrow, I had to take dramatic action.

I've written about Oranmore before:

Oranmore, the last street priot to Stanton, between milemarkers 9 and 10 on the map, is particularly entertaining. While the map doesn't show it very well, the lion's share of it is a slope so steep that, at least on a fixed gear, it feels more like working some new fangled Nautilus machine than it does riding a bike. It's not, that is to say, just like riding a bike. It's like kneading a mountain of pizza dough with your feet in a room full of ammonia while someone hits your thighs with a rubber mallet. It's short, at least -- its only virtue.

Nothing's changed, except that this time my bag was full of unused rain clothing, a pound of coffee, and a carton of cigarettes (I know, the irony -- bite me).

In sum, Oranmore [see milemarker 8 to Stanton]: 'nuff said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker