MoonOverPittsburgh

Some tiny creature, mad with wrath,

Is coming nearer on the path.

--Edward Gorey

Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S. Outlying Islands

Writer, lawyer, cyclist, rock climber, wanderer of dark residential streets, friend.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

If to No One Else, At Least I'm Predictable to Myself

Thanks go to non-blogger Rachel, who directed me to this gem of a quiz.





take the WHAT BAD BOOK ARE YOU test.


and go to mewing.net. not as good as reading a good book, but way better than a bad one.


When I started this test, I thought, "Watch me draw Lot 49." This book was huge for me as an undergrad, and remains one of my avowed faves, notwithstanding that it violates one of my principal rules for identifying worthy books in that it doesn't read aloud, whether in whole or in part, terribly well, and notwithstanding its intrinsic pretentiousness.

I still recommend it to people, too, precisely as it was recommended to me: find a quiet place, start it at 11 pm or so, and read it through in one sitting. I read it in the empty, silent living room of a vacation rental on the East End of Long Island, the night and the bay blackly invisible behind the reflective picture window but for a few lights faintly glowing on the opposite shore. It was like having a nightmare without the inconvenience of having to fall asleep first.

I haven't tagged people with memes in a while, but because I'm very curious about what other books are there, I'm going to today. Majikthise, Emily, Michael, and the folks at Bloodless Coup -- you're up.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, you are predictable to me - I'm not surprised you are 'Crying' either ....

I'm Heart of Darkness.
I am a simple story told in dense convoluted language.
Some think it underscores my point, but it really just masks it.

While I don't fully embrace this identification, I can't say I disagree with it either (she mused somewhat begrudgingly while preparing for yet another round of 'who's the baby in the mirror,' the daily ritual she began months ago, anticipating with bated breath the (presumably visually verifiable) Lacanian moment of infant-self-awareness. At present, she has yet to reap this reward.)

2:04 PM  
Blogger Ol' Froth said...

I am the Hobbit!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

atlas shrugged. that sort of ruined my morning. geezzz

9:51 AM  
Blogger emily said...

i did this twice. first i was _the hobbit_, then i was _atlas shrugged_.

all in all, very unsatisfying.

eh.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker