MoonOverPittsburgh

Some tiny creature, mad with wrath,

Is coming nearer on the path.

--Edward Gorey

Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S. Outlying Islands

Writer, lawyer, cyclist, rock climber, wanderer of dark residential streets, friend.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Let It Snow

Neither New Jersey nor Pittsburgh are notorious for their snowfalls, but after eight years I've come to realize that in Pittsburgh we are too far south to take heavy lake-effect hits, and too far west to catch the nor'easters that occasionally punish the mid-atlantic seaboard and New England. And it's a pity.

Although Central Park has recorded the greatest snowfall in its history, New Jersey appears to have recorded less, and so I may still have experienced the worst New Jersey snowfall on record, which fell January 6 - 8, 1996 dropping 27+ inches of snow on Newark.

This slideshow presents New York in heavy snow, one of the prettiest phenomena I've had the pleasure of seeing.

I am, all at once, at home here in Pittsburgh and homesick just the same. Perhaps just one of those lake-effect monsters could come to visit and bury us all? Just maybe?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

March 1993: snow drifts as tall as me in Squirrel Hill.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

binky is right. that winter I figured CMU had to own stock in a salt mine cause they used so much of it. Walking around campus was fine but the rest of the city was mess.

As for the storm in 1996, I was thinking of that this weekend. I drove from Boston to NJ during that storm, only to arrive to house with only bagels to eat. My brother's gf worked in a bagel store and got sent home early with as many bagels as she wanted. And thank god for that, otherwise we would have had nothing to eat for the 4 days it took the local plows to arrive. Therefore, this time I decided that I should shop before this storm. Turns out to have been an unnecessary hassle. Not only was the store mobbed but apparently suburban boston is far better at plowing that suburban NJ. My street is totally clean.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker