MoonOverPittsburgh

Some tiny creature, mad with wrath,

Is coming nearer on the path.

--Edward Gorey

Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S. Outlying Islands

Writer, lawyer, cyclist, rock climber, wanderer of dark residential streets, friend.

Monday, November 21, 2005

New Favorite Site, and Why

New Favorite Site.

Just one reason why:

Sir Walter Scott: "A lawyer without history or literature is a mechanic, a mere working mason; if he possesses some knowledge of these, he may venture to call himself an architect."

Indeed. I flatter myself that I'm an architect. And I dread encounters with mechanics and masons. Though often the architect can take advantage of them in the breach, it's not terribly sporting, and it's never much fun.

Of course, brute force sometimes is more effective. Then, I'm sure, the mason or mechanic finds the architect's feeble efforts equally tedious.

The questions are: When is the T-square mightier than the hammer? And where can I hide when it isn't?

1 Comments:

Blogger perpetual slacker said...

I'm reminded of a thought I had a while back, when I was contemplating a Ph.D. in medical research, as against an M.D.

I likened my quest for knowledge in the research degree as that of an architect, a designer of sorts, embarking upon a journey aimed at understanding the functioning of the human body, in the hopes that knowledge of how it was put together would provide insights to new ways to fix those things that tend to go wrong.

The M.D. I viewed as a simple mechanic, able only to wield the power that I hoped to someday provide; nothing more, nothing less, than the guy with oily fingers fiddling under the hood.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker