MoonOverPittsburgh

Some tiny creature, mad with wrath,

Is coming nearer on the path.

--Edward Gorey

Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S. Outlying Islands

Writer, lawyer, cyclist, rock climber, wanderer of dark residential streets, friend.

Monday, October 03, 2005

More on Miers

This quote, supposedly offered by David Frum, is unsourced, except insofar as someone posted it at the right wing site Confirm Them, where one wouldn't expect to encounter fiction that sounds an alarm from the right about the right. So anyway, here's "Frum:"

2005: JUSTICE MIERS?

I believe I was the first to float the name of Harriet Miers, White House counsel, as a possible Supreme Court. Today her name is all over the news. I have to confess that at the time, I was mostly joking. Harriet Miers is a capable lawyer, a hard worker, and a kind and generous person. She would be an reasonable choice for a generalist attorney, which is indeed how George W. Bush first met her. She would make an excellent trial judge: She is a careful and fair-minded listener. But US Supreme Court?

In the White House that hero worshipped the president, Miers was distinguished by the intensity of her zeal: She once told me that the president was the most brilliant man she had ever met. She served Bush well, but she is not the person to lead the court in new directions - or to stand up under the criticism that a conservative justice must expect.

I was fine right up until he says the thing about Bush being the "most brilliant man she had ever met." I could go a lot of directions with this, but either it's wrong and blatant toadying, or it's right (these things lying with the beholder), in which case she needs to get out more.

I'd say that somewhere in Texas her husband spit his coffee all over the kitchen table when he saw that line, except that she's unmarried. But I spit my coffee all over my desk in his place.

Anyway, all day today, other people will be doing this better than I can. (At that last link, also find corroboration of the Frum comment.) Go read them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker